Web/Other located Anywhere, Remote Work.
Who is mod.io?
mod.io is the world’s most trusted platform for the creation and discovery of fully cross-platform User-Generated Content (UGC) and mods in video games.
It was founded by the same team behind ModDB, and has just been recognised as one of 25 Game Changers for 2024 from a list of over 1000 submissions. We are a fast-growing, early-stage startup, backed by leading video game venture capital firms including LEGO Ventures, Tencent, and Makers Fund.
Our mission is to connect game studios and publishers with their communities by harnessing the power of UGC. And we’re doing it; our platform is embedded in over 150 games, including some of the biggest and best games in the world. Games like Deep Rock Galactic, Snowrunner, and Dying Light 2, and we support over six-and-a-half-million monthly users.
What is the role?
We are looking for a Tech Support Specialist to join our team. Our customers and consumers are video game players, mod creators and video game developers, studios and publishers - they are tech savvy and very knowledgeable about how video games work. You will be responsible for defining and delivering an exceptional experience to our customers and consumers.
- Monitor customer and consumer enquiries via email, Discord, social media channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook etc.) and other contact channels.
- Provide Level 1 support: understand the issue (often with limited information), diagnose the problem, investigate and resolve yourself or source the right solution/answer working with product owners and/or engineers, escalate to Level 2 support if needed, and provide exceptional communications internally and externally throughout.
- Help to establish the process for purchase, payment and refund enquiries
- Respond to and resolve issues in a timely, friendly and accurate manner (in most cases, a same day response and solution)
- Establish and maintain ‘How to Guides’ and FAQs for common problems (internal use only)
- Identify opportunities to improve our customer and consumer experience and implement where agreed
- Use your knowledge of customer and consumer challenges to feed issues, bugs, feature requests and product recommendations into our product roadmap
- Contribute to the implementation of Zendesk
- Establish relevant KPIs and lightweight tracking for customer and consumer satisfaction and support
- In addition to support, deliver or work with a project team to deliver initiatives that help our consumers and customers succeed eg: working directly with games to build thriving modding communities.
- Any other administrative duties as require
Why work at mod.io?
We’re very ambitious in what we want to achieve as a company, and we work closely together to achieve our goals.
- We’re transparent and honest, and our focus is on getting things done in the most efficient way possible - if something is slowing us down, we want to know about it and fix it.
- We’re a small team with 40 people globally. This means there are always opportunities both to shape your role and also how we do things.
- We offer maximum flexibility - you can work hours based on your location and choose where you work - work from home (WFH) or away (any location), or enjoy the perks of our brand new office in Prahran if you’re in Melbourne.
- We provide a competitive salary and equity in the company
- We value the career development of our people; we look to hire within when opportunities arise, and provide mentorship and support for all our team.
- We’re very proud that we have a safe, transparent working environment where everyone is welcome, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
What are we looking for in candidates?
We are looking for humble, enthusiastic, self-starters who take ownership over what they create and will help us shape and improve the company. Even if you don’t match the qualifications exactly, if you’re confident you can do the job, or can grow into the role, please throw your hat in the ring.
For this role, we need someone who is tech savvy, an avid gamer who plays a variety of games on a range of hardware (consoles, PC, VR, mobile) and platforms, a fan of mods, even potentially creating their own mods, and self-motivated with excellent problem solving and communication skills.
We are looking for:
- You are a passionate gamer - you play a variety of games on a wide range of hardware (consoles, VR, mobile and PC) and platforms and deeply understand the gamer experience and typical problems
- You like mods - you use mods and ideally make your own content for games
- You are tech savvy with a good understanding of video game technology from a gamer perspective - how games and mods work on consoles, PCs, VR and mobile devices
- You have excellent diagnostic skills - you can determine what is wrong with limited information and can ask the right questions of both the user and internally in order to provide a solution
- You don’t read off a script or canned answers - you work with product owners and engineers to create this content - and then you determine on a case by case basis if a standard answer is appropriate or not, and if so, update it on the fly to be specific to the particular situation, otherwise, you write your own response (and add to the standard answers)
- You are a problem solver - you like digging to find out what is going on, you have an understanding of software development so you know roughly which area of the end-to-end solution might be at fault, you can clearly articulate the issue to an engineer, and you make great suggestions on how to resolve issues
- You are aware of the bigger picture - you are able to notice common problems or themes and can package these appropriately into high level feature suggestions, or areas to address, and add these recommendations to our product roadmap
- You are a self starter, self-sufficient and able to think on your feet
- You have an excellent understanding of what constitutes great customer service
- You are able to work independently, and in project teams, and directly with game developers, studio and publishers to deliver customer-facing initiatives that are not support-based (eg: helping games to build modding communities)
- You are able to work effectively under pressure - you can set your own priorities each day and can context-switch effectively
- You have exceptional communication skills, written and verbal
- You are a native English speaker and ideally speak at least one other language
- Ideally you are using mod.io right now :-)
It would be awesome if you also have:
- Experience working within the video game industry
- Some engineering experience or knowledge - you may have built web sites etc.
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience using customer service software (e.g. Zendesk) and social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Discord
- Experience with ClickUp/Trello or similar project management tools
- Experience with PagerDuty or similar alerting/reporting tools
- Experience with Google Suite
This is a full time role. You can work remotely or from our office in Prahran, which is near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please submit your application here: Apply.workable.com